- 2022 Emerald Cup Exhibitor Booth
- 2019 Emerald Cup Contest Coverage - NW Fitness Magazine
- 2019 Vancouver Open Contest Coverage - NW Fitness Magazine
- Redeem free issue – NW Fitness Magazine – Jan 2020
- One Male & One Female Open Class Winner from the 2019 NPC Emerald Cup will be on the cover of the next issue of NW Fitness Magazine. Vote for your favorite Open Overall Class Winner.
by Jennifer Stewart Erickson
What are healthy fats?
When we think of fats in food we automatically conjure up images of bacon, French fries and cheese but not all fats are bad for you.
There are two main types of beneficial dietary fats:
Monounsaturated fat is found in a variety of oils and food sources. Foods rich in monounsaturated fats, such as nuts, can help improve cholesterol levels reducing your risk for heart related disease. In addition monounsaturated fats can also help control blood insulin levels.
Polyunsaturated fat is mostly found leafy plant based foods and fish. Omega-3, a type of polyunsaturated fat, has been shown to lower the risk of heart attacks. While Omega-6, found in sunflower oil may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
According to Jennifer Stewart Erickson, a fitness expert, Author and contributor to NWfitness Magazine, Healthy fats, such as avocados, nuts and eggyolks are mandatory when eating training. Healthy fats take longer to digest, which in turn can help you stay satisfied longer and prevent you from snacking inbetween meals. Healthy fats are also essential when doing cardio and weight training. When dieting they can help improve the loss of unwanted body fat.
Watch for Jennifer’s 80/20 healthy lifestyle book in the future.